MEMORIAL DAY AT SAINT MARY'S CEMETERY SIXTY-SIX YEARS AGO
Many thanks to parishioner Martha Phillips who obtained for us an archive photo from the Boston Herald and a news story from the Daily Boston Globe on the dedication of the outdoor altar at our parish cemetery of St. Mary’s which took place on May 30th, 1952. According to the news article 4,000 people attended this Dedication, officiated by the Archbishop of Boston Richard Cardinal Cushing. (He had not yet been made a Cardinal then.)
The Herald photo shows Archbishop Cushing assisted by the Pastor of Mary Immaculate of Lourdes, Rev. John R. Wall. The three priests on the other side are identified as Rev. Michael Noonan of Framingham, Rev. Frederick Driscoll of Lynn and Rev. Cornelius O’Leary of Wellesley. Behind Archbishop Cushing can be seen Sisters of Charity wearing their distinctive habits modeled on the widow’s bonnet of their foundress Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton.
As the Globe story indicates, the altar was originally to be used for a Mass for the Dead on each First Sunday of the month until the end of October, “weather permitting”. Although this altar is no longer used for our annual Memorial Day Mass it is still preserved at the cemetery and a beautiful reminder of the Sacrifice of Calvary.