On-Going Instruction in the Principles of Christianity
THE CREDO OF THE PEOPLE OF GOD OF POPE ST. PAUL VI
(The SOLEMN PROFESSION OF FAITH - 13 thru 18)
- WE BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, WHO IS LORD AND GIVER OF LIFE, WHO IS ADORED AND GLORIFIED TOGETHER WITH THE FATHER AND THE SON. He spoke to us by the Prophets, He was sent by Christ after His Resurrection and His Ascension to the Father; He illuminates, vivifies, protects and governs the Church; He purifies the Church’s members if they do not shun His grace. His action, which penetrates to the inmost of the soul, enables man to respond to the call of Jesus: Be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect.
- WE BELIEVE THAT MARY IS THE MOTHER, WHO REMAINED EVER A VIRGIN, OF THE INCARNATE WORD, OUR GOD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, and that by reason of this singular election, she was, in consideration of the merits of her Son, redeemed in a more eminent manner, preserved from all stain of original sin and filled with the gift of grace more than all other creatures.
- JOINED BY A CLOSE AND INDISSOLUBLE BOND TO THE MYSTERIES OF THE INCARNATION AND REDEMPTION, THE BLESSED VIRGIN, THE IMMACULATE WAS AT THE END OF HER EARTHLY LIFE RAISED BODY AND SOUL TO HEAVENLY GLORY and likened to her risen Son in anticipation of the future lot of all the just; and We believe that the Blessed Mother of God, the New Eve, Mother of the Church, continues, in heaven her maternal role with regard to Christ’s members, co-operating with the birth and and growth of divine life in the souls of the redeemed.
- WE BELIEVE THAT IN ADAM ALL HAVE SINNED, which means that the original offense committed by him caused human nature, common to all men, to fall to a state in which it bears the consequences of that offense, and which is not the state in which it was at first in our parents, established as they were in holiness and justice, and in which man knew neither evil nor death. It is human nature so fallen, stripped of the grace that clothed it, injured in its own natural powers and subjected to the dominion of death, that is transmitted to all men, and it is in this sense that every man is born in sin. We therefore hold, with the Council of Trent, that original sin is transmitted with human nature, “not by imitation, but by propagation” and that it is thus “in each of us as his own.”
- WE BELIEVE THAT OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, BY THE SACRIFICE OF THE CROSS, REDEEMED US from original sin and all the personal sins committed by each one of us, so that, in accordance with the word of the Apostle, “where sin abounded, grace did more abound.”
- WE BELIEVE IN ONE BAPTISM INSTITUTED BY OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS. Baptism should be administered even to little children who have not yet been able to be guilty of any personal sin, in order that, though born deprived of supernatural grace, they may be reborn “of water and the Holy Spirit” to the divine life in Christ Jesus.
(Pope Saint Paul VI, reigned 1964-1978)
Raised to the Altars October 14th, 2018